Viking River Cruises announced the addition of two new river cruise itineraries last month, which will include a variety of new pre- and post-cruise extensions for 2019.
Holland & Belgium itinerary
The first itinerary debuts in March, sailing for ten days between Amsterdam and Antwerp.
The cruise allows guests to explore the waterways of the Low Countries and visit a number of new ports of call for Viking such as Rotterdam, Maatricht and Nijmegen.
Paris & D-Day 75th Anniversary
In commemoration with World War II and D-Day, this itinerary offers an eleven-day cruise with two special departures which coincide with 6 June 2019 – 75th anniversary of D-Day.
During the journey, guests will travel from London to Portsmouth before boarding their ship in Paris and sailing through Normandy, where they can visit and honour D-Day landing sites.
New pre- and post-cruise extensions
More and more guests are looking to extend their holidays with the addition of destination-focused travel experiences. These fully-escorted extensions include:
- Timeless Istanbul
- This extension is for the Kiev to the Black Sea itinerary and includes a three-night stay in Istanbul. Here, guests can visit important religious sites such as the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.
- This extension is perfect on the new Holland & Belgium itinerary, with a chance to explore Brussels during a two-night stay. Enjoy lively cafe scenes, multicultural roots and hidden gems.
- Historic Bruges
- Also a great addition to the Holland & Belgium itinerary, this three-night extension explores the well-preserved medieval city of Bruges. Guests can visit architectural treasures of Ghent and the World War I battlefields of Flanders.
- Churchill’s Britain
- Visit the real Downton Abbey with this extension, which is available on a selection of various river itineraries. Trace Churchill’s life from his birth in Blenheim Palace to his final resting place at St. Martin’s Church, Bladon.
- From the Bulge to Remagen
- A four-night extension, this addition follows the footsteps of Allied troops who marched across France during both World War I and World War II. Visit iconic spots in Meuse-Argonne and Luxembourg American cemeteries, Bastogne War Museum, and walk the streets of Mainz.
- World War Battlefields
- Also offering on the special anniversary sailing of D-Day, this four-night extension explores the battlefields of Northern France and Low Countries. Along the way, visit Dunkirk, walk the trenches of Flanders Fields, and pay your respects to servicemen at the Menin Gate.
- Burgundy’s Vineyards
- Experience the grandeur of Dijon and the renowned wine country of UNESCO-listed Burgundy as you enjoy this three-night extension in France. Landmark trips include the Ducal Palace and the beautiful Côte de Nuits and Côte de Beaune
The release of these extensions also comes at a time when Viking River are preparing to launch seven brand-new river ships to Europe throughout 2019.
Each of these will be based on the award-winning Viking Longships and sail along popular rivers such as the Rhine, Main and Danube.
If you would like to find out more about Viking River Cruises and find one of the new itineraries outlined above, click the button below for more information.
Call our Cruise Concierge team on 0800 197 0854 for expert advice on Viking River Cruises and sailings, as well as award-winning customer service with your booking or any questions you may have.
Have you sailed with Viking River Cruises before? Which of the above itineraries or extensions are your favourite? Let us know in the comments below!